Saturday, November 20, 2010

Personal Childhood Web

PERSONAL CHILDHOOD WEB


First, it was my mom, a single parent, the bread winner in the family, who cared for me in my early childhood years. She was my friend, my supporter, my confidant, my doctor, my nurse and the best mother in the world. As a single parent, she worked the lands planting cassava sticks, harvesting cocoa, bananas, and nutmeg to provide for our everyday needs. What was very important to her was taking us to church on Sunday mornings and sending us to school daily. Going to church and school was a must because she always believes that we would receive God’s blessings when we pray, and we would be something more than what she was – A teacher, a nurse, a carpenter, and a secretary. This brings out the fact that it was four (4) of us and all of my siblings as well as myself are living up to her expectations. I remember my mom saying to us at a young age, “never hang your hat where your hand cannot reach.’ As I grew older I finally understood what she meant. Use the money you have to buy what you can. You cannot buy a bigger refrigerator, so buy a small one. I live with this saying up to today. When I go back to my native island to visit, my mom and I would spend quality time together, for I know in my heart I cannot financially pay her back for the support, the protection and the love she shared with us. But being with her is more gratifying for me, because she is the best mom ever! I luv u mom!
My great grand aunt was very special to me because she was the one that claimed me after my birth at home. Since my father was not around she made sure I had the opportunity like any other child in the village to meet people, socialize and had fun. She was my financial support when my mom was not able to. It is still clear in my mind how upset she was when I did not tell her about my first communion early enough. When she found out she went out and bought my outfit, and everything else that went with making your first communion. That was a family tradition that was well respected and this was instilled in me by my great aunt. She has passed on from this life but her memories live on. May she rest in peace. I love you Tanteen!
Teacher Bridget was my care giver, my teacher, the disciplinarian. She was firm but funny and silly. She had all the jokes you can imagine and spend a lot of her time trying to mentor us in her home. We stayed at her house many times practicing plays, and folk songs, and dances for concerts. I remember during the Christmas season we used to serenade around the village singing Christmas songs, playing drums, beating tambourines, and having a good time. This was one of my favorite childhood times. I still remember the good old times. Teacher Bridget, you have gone from this life, but not forgotten. 
Donald, my uncle better known as Bosent, was my musical uncle. He played the steel pan, the guitar, and any musical instrument he placed his hands on. We used to sit on the steps at my granny’s house and as he played the instruments we sang, and danced. This is how I learned to dance to different rhythms. Those experiences are worthwhile ones because it was part of our culture in the little village. My uncle passed on in 2008 with cancer, but his musical legacy live on. I missed him tremendously, and I still thank him for the inspiration he gave us through his music.
Last, but not least, my sister Laurel. Even though I am the oldest she inspired me in ways I couldn’t imagine. When our mom went to the market on Saturdays, my sister would be the one to help out around the house. When I did not have the urge to do my chores, she would be the one motivating me telling me to get up and do it. I was the one that liked talking and I did it a lot. When in conversation, if my tongue slipped and I said something out of the way my sister was the one that told me it was not ok. We had a very good relationship and it remains to this day. I love her dearly and will continue to cherish the times we spent together as sisters.
Throughout my childhood years, I had a lot of support. I am grateful to all the people who inspired me and helped me to be the person I am today. Thanks mom! Rest in peace uncle, teacher Bridget, and Tanteen.  To my sister Laurel, I say a big thank you!


.

4 comments:

  1. Theresa,
    It was a heart felt blog regarding the Childhood web. For all of us who are not living in the place where we grew up this assingment brought lots memories back. And they made me realize what our own children are missing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theresa, it nice to see the importance of what family means to you. I know this assignment you must of had so many different thoughts of how you have been influenced and inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God Bless your mom, I love stories like this one where a single mother overcomes and provides for her family and when her children are succesful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hats goes off to your mom. In spite of being a single parent, she overcame many obstacles to make sure she raised successful children. When you return home tell your mom how thankful and proud to be her child.

    ReplyDelete