Saturday, November 5, 2011

What is Communication?

COMPETENT COMMUNICATOR

 I will use my co-teacher, my first principal as a competent communicator. As a leader he showed good verbal and nonverbal communication skills. Verbally,he was persuasive and communicated information with confidence, trustworthiness and truthfulness. He communicated on issues as he saw it objectively. When talking to him he listened attentively, and was able to understand, evaluate and successfully made use of what he heard. The principal during staff meeting when things seemed to be going out of control he showed the ability to determine what is appropriate and what is not especially when bickering surfaced. I remember the morning when a terrifying earthquake shook the school. The principal immediately gave instructions of what we should do and rang the bell over and over again to make staff aware and reminded them of the safety rules, and what should be done next. He was very effective in his communication as a principal and this has helped me in my communicating with others. His feedback was quick and timely, and for most part resulted in positive outcomes. O’Hair & Wiemann (2009) stated that competent communication must be both appropriate and effective. The principal was just that!

I would like to model the principal’s communication skills. This will help in my understanding of messages, evaluating what was said, and will successfully help me make use of what I heard. I believe a competent communicator should have good listening skills that are necessary in fulfilling job satisfaction, performance and achievement of the organization’s goals.
Resources
O’Hair & Wiemann (2009). Real Comunication: An Introduction.
Bedford/St. Martin's
Boston, MA 02116

3 comments:

  1. Theresa,

    You wrote a lot of interesting comments in your blog. Listening plays an important part in developing good communication skills. Also,I could tell that your prinicpals was a very effective competent communicator that you learned a lot from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theresa,
    Keeping self togather and giving guidence at a time of a earthquake says how confidence this person was. There are lots of talkers that we all heve met in our life. They do not make any diference in anyone's life than wasting others time, but when you met someone like this principale you knew that he could make a difference, because of the way he was communicating.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Theresa. I really liked how you highlighted effective communication skills in your blog. You make an excellent point about confidence and persuasion. These were skills that I neglected to mention in my blog assignment when discussing the person that I selected.

    ReplyDelete