Saturday, March 26, 2011

Connections to play

Quotes about play


"Play helps children weave together all the elements of life as they experience it” (Almon, 2002).

 "The creation of something new is not accompanied by intellect, but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the object it loves." (Carl Jung, Psychologist)

"Play allows children to use their creativity while developing their imagination, dexterity, and physical, cognitive, and emotional strength” (Ginsberg, 2007). 

Cricket on the beach
Jump rope





Hop scotch


 




During my early childhood years it was fun when all my cousins and the neighbors’ children came over to play. Once the children were out in the yard my parents would make us know they were there suggesting games we could play. Sometimes my mom would sit on the steps and looked on as we ran, jumped, laughed and sometimes quarrel too.
Cricket was our favorite game. We played most times after school once our homework was completed. At times our parents would coach us immediately if we were not holding the bat the right way or bowling the ball to get someone out.  The most exciting part is trying to win the opponent’s score and I tell you ….. You never want to lose because it would become an echo the next day.  What ever happened at those times was just for fun and it was well worth it.
Hop scotch was played mostly at school during our lunch break. This was the longest time we had outside and you had to know your numbers because if you forget, then your time to play will be taken by someone else.  That was never kool for me! (LOL)
Jump rope was out of the ordinary. We never had to buy rope from the store. We had to run through the bushes to get rope. Sometimes we had to pull the thick, hard vine from big trees and this was soooo much fun. The most excitement from jump rope for us was trying to get the girls' dresses over their heads while skipping the rope. Isn’t that fun! Wanting to see the girl’s underwear? (LoL).
Play today cannot be compared with my childhood plays. The advancement of technology and the fear of playing outside are barriers within our children’s environment.  I think it is necessary at times to allow children to go outside and have a good time.  Research shows that play is beneficial for children’s learning and development. Thus, Schools have a responsibility to promote play in and out of the classroom so as to prevent the rise of obesity and other illnesses that are harming the children of today. Children need play experiences that will last for years and years.
Play has been fun, and excitement in my childhood years. Growing up in my native island, children were seen playing all around the neighborhood regardless of the time of day. Schools are mandated to include physical education as part of the syllabus and child play outside everyday as part of their daily routine. I feel guilty for what I have done to my children immigrating with them and robbing them of the opportunities of outside play which is so lacking in the USA.  It is imperative that my children return to the islands to enjoy what they so missed – the fun with outside play!

4 comments:

  1. Theresa,
    It is interesting to read that you enjoyed cricket as a child. I still do enjoy watching it on television far away from home as the game is playing in Sri Lanka today. Yes, physical education was a part of the syllabus for me too and still it is Sri Lanka. I agree that there should be more emphasis on physical activities in the schools in U.S.A. to help the children fight obesity as well as other health concerns. Great posting, really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just reading your comments on childhood play, I could tell that you had fun and enjoyed playing the game called cricket. I never heard of this game, but it seem like a fun game to play. It is sad to know that children in today's society are robbed of their childhood play. The unforseen dangerous lurking outside to harm our children is part of the reason why parents do not feel safe letting their children play outside unattended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Theresa,
    Thanks for sharing your childhood memories and I had never heard of cricket on the beach, so I learned something new. I can tell that you had a great childhood in your native country and yes the US does deprive children at a certain extent to play. So many of our American children of this decade would have a hard time entertaining themselves if it were not for electronics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank for sharing, I am so sorry that U.S deprive children, but I have a son that is 1 and when he get older I am going to share outdoor activities with him this may help me to stay younger and get me back in shape. But I am not going to depend on the state or the school to give my child the outdoor experiment he is entitle to as a child because I know how important it was to me.

    ReplyDelete